Beautiful architecture, fascinating history and one of the world's most famous wine regions: discover the best of Bordeaux on this guided walking tour. What's more, it's FREE!
Free Walking Tour of Bordeaux Itinerary
This free walking tour of Bordeaux starts in Place des Quinconces, one of Europe's largest city squares and home to a magnificent fountain, a monument to the Girondists who fell victim to the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution.
Throughout the walking tour, your English-speaking tour guide will tell you all about the history of this city, one of the most important in France and the world capital of the viticulture industry, with wine having been produced here since the 8th century.
Bordeaux's historic centre has been recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its incredible architectural beauty. Walking through the streets of the old town, you'll discover iconic buildings such as the Bordeaux Cathedral, first consecrated in 1096; the Grand Théâtre, with its impressive Neo-Classical façade; Porte Cailhau, the gateway that remains from the ancient fortified city walls; and the Utopia cinema, which is housed in a former church.
Learn the legends and history surrounding the city, get to know local customs and discover the importance of the wine industry for Bordeaux and the area surrounding the Garonne river.
Your walking tour of Bordeaux will finish in Place de la Bourse. This large square is a perfect example of French 18th century classical architecture and was constructed to reflect the city's wealth.
- It is not possible to reserve the Free Walking Tour of Bordeaux if you are a group of more than 6 people.
- If you'd prefer to visit the city with your own exclusive English-speaking guide, check out our Private Tour of Bordeaux instead.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 9 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (5:00 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Yes (imperative to point out when the booking is made).
Place des Quinconces.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.