The Colca Valley is the perfect combination of nature and tradition. Discover this in Chivay, a town high in the hills, and explore the Apurímac River, where the Amazon River starts. In just two days you'll discover one of the most impressive regions in Peru.
Colca Valley 2 Day Trip
Day 1: Arequipa - Colca Canyon - Chivay
To completely make the most of the first day, we'll come and pick you up from your accommodation in Arequipa at 2:30 am. We'll travel for around three hours through the beautiful Peruvian countryside, and then we'll make a stop in the town of Yanque, where you'll be able to enjoy a typical breakfast.
After another hour and a half travelling, we'll reach one of the most visited places in the Colca Valley: the Condor Cross. From this viewpoint, not only will you see condors flying overhead, but you'll also be able to take in the incredible views of the emblematic Colca Canyon, it's one of the deepest craters in the world!
We'll keep travelling through the Colca Valley and make a stop in Maca. You'll be welcomed to this small town by locals wearing typical outfits. We'll wander around its picturesque streets, finding an interesting colonial-style church along the way.
Next, we'll hit the road again, passing by hundreds of pre-Inca terraces. Do you know what these were used for? Finally, we'll reach the Valley's hot springs, where you can relax in the pools before continuing with our trip.
The final destination today will be Chivay, the capital of the Colca Valley. Once there, you'll have the afternoon free to be able to explore this Andean town at over 9842 feet (3000 metres) above sea level!
Day 2: Chivay - Apurímac River - Arequipa
We'll start the day with breakfast in the hotel, and then we'll leave Chivay behind and head to the Apurímac River, some two and a half hours away. Did you know that this is where the Amazon River starts? At 16,400 feet (5000 metres) above sea level, we'll walk alongside the river, admiring the natural landscapes and Andean birds and llamas that accompany us on the way.
You'll witness how the crystal-clear waters of the Apurímac flow from a rock wall, heading from the Andes towards the Atlantic Ocean. You're sure to be taken away by the natural beauty of this area!
We'll head back to Chivay at midday, and you'll have time to get lunch at your leisure (not included). Next, we'll make a final stop to see the views from the Patapampa mountains and volcano.
After discovering this area, we'll make our way back to Arequipa, where we'll drop you off in the centre (between the streets Zela and Santa Catalina) at around 6 pm.
The tour includes one night's accommodation at Hotel Colca Llaqta, or a similar hotel.
Hotel Pick Up
On the first day, we'll pick you up from your accommodation in Arequipa, providing it is in the city centre. If this is not the case, we'll meet at the Plaza de Armas, opposite the cathedral, at 2:30 am.
The tour does not include the tourist ticket to the Colca Canyon (approx. 23 USD), which is needed to enter the Colca Valley, or entrance to the hot springs (approx. 6 USD).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 12 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Per personUS$ 250
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Hotel pick up from hotels in the centre of Arequipa.
Drop off in the centre of Arequipa.
1 night's accommodation in Chivay.
Lunch and dinners.
Entrance to the Colca Canyon (78 PEN; 23 USD approx.).
Entrance to the hot springs (21 PEN; 6 USD approx.).
When to book?
You can book up until 2.5 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not advisable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Plaza de Armas in Arequipa.