Bran: the creepy, terrifying castle of Dracula holds many dark secrets. Discover them all on this tour around the inside of the monument.
Dracula's Castle Guided Tour
Its towers appear bewitched and its battlements seem to be keeping out an enemy more terrifying than humans themselves. The inside of the castle looks like something out of a dark, creepy story... haunted. Its legends are intertwined with its history, so much so that in 1897 the Irish writer Bram Stoker was inspired by the castle to write one of the most famous gothic novels of all time: Dracula.
Our guided tour around the castle will begin at number 2 Strada Valea Portii in Bran. From this central point of the Romanian city, we'll walk up to the fortress, located just 200 metres away. Once inside the Transylvanian fortress we'll begin our tour, learning about the history of Bran Castle, the origins of which date back to the 13th century.
During the early Middle Ages, Bran was fought over by the Hungarian and Ottoman empires. We'll find out why it was so important to both of these empires whilst we walk around the courtyards and rooms of Bran Castle, historically inhabited by noble families of royal lineage.
On our tour around Bran Castle we'll also find out what inspired Bram Stoker to base his gothic novel on Count Dracula, a character also based on the 15th-century prince Vlad Tepes Drăculea, also known as "Vlad the Impaler".
The tour ends with an overview of the castle's recent history, extensively renovated in the 1920s (but without losing its medieval appearance).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
English language tour
Over 65sUS$ 24.90
Registered students between 18 and 24US$ 23.70
Children between 6 and 17US$ 20.20
Children under 6Free
1 hour 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Skip the line to Bran Castle.
English speaking guide specialising in Romanian history.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 1 hour before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
2 Strada Valea Portii.