Get started in the fabulous world ice climbing when you take our fantastic private 2 or 3-day course for beginners. You will learn all the essential techniques as you ascend the magnificent Cagliero glacier.
Multiday Private Ice Climbing Tour
Day 1: El Chaltén - Vivac Cagliero
At 8 a.m, we will pick you up at your accommodation in El Chaltén before heading in a private vehicle to the visitor's center in the beautiful Los Huemules Reserve.
When we are ready, we will start the day with a three-hour walk through the idyllic lenga beech forests until we reach the stunning Devil's Lagoon. There, we put on the safety equipment and set off along the via ferrata route that winds along the cliffs bordering the lake.
After just over half a mile, we arrive at the Domo Vivac Cagliero refuge, where we will leave our backpacks and equip ourselves in preparation for the ice climbing course.
Then we head to the foot of the Cagliero glacier, where we explain all the necessary techniques to enjoy this activity in the safest possible way. You will learn how to use the equipment and how to climb in this environment. After, we will return to the shelter to recover our strength with a delicious dinner and enjoy a well-earned rest until the next day.
Day 2: Vivac Cagliero - El Chaltén
After breakfast, we gather the climbing equipment again and return to the Cagliero glacier to continue learning new techniques and practice those we learned the previous day. You will have enormous fun climbing these icy walls!
After checking how you've improved, we then enjoy a well-deserved lunch and head back to the Los Huemules Reserve's visitor's center. There a vehicle will be waiting for us to take us back to El Chaltén.
If you have the time and want to perfect your ice climbing techniques even further, you can choose to extend the course by one more day. In this case, on the second day, you will enjoy a full day of climbing followed by dinner. The following day, you will climb until lunchtime before returning to El Chaltén.
If you choose this option, you will have an additional day of accommodation with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Although the route is only moderately difficult, it is necessary to have a good level of fitness.
The accommodation on the tour is an individual bed in a double room at the Domo Vivac Cagliero refuge.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 80% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 20% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
This is a private tour organized for you and your partner, friends or family.
2 day course
1 personUS$ 1,188
2 peopleUS$ 1,680
3 peopleUS$ 2,214
4 peopleUS$ 2,448
5 peopleUS$ 3,060
6 peopleUS$ 2,952
3 day course
1 personUS$ 1,752
2 peopleUS$ 2,088
3 peopleUS$ 2,826
4 peopleUS$ 3,192
5 peopleUS$ 3,990
6 peopleUS$ 3,816
* Children under 18 years old are not allowed to take part in this activity.
2 - 3 days.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Hotel pick up an drop off in El Chalten.
Transport in private vehicle.
English speaking guide provided by the National Park Administration.
1 or 2 nights accommodation in Domo Vivac Cagliero.
Technical equipment for the via ferrata and the glacier trek.
Entry to the Huemules reserve.
1 day lunch.
Personal equipment (gloves, hiking boots, warm clothing, etc.).
When to book?
Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, this activity requires visitors to be in good physical shape.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.