Experience the best of Ecuador on this three day tour package. You'll explore the beautiful nature of the Cajas National Park and the Avenue of the Volcanoes; delve into Cuenca's culture and history, and take a ride on the Devil's Nose train... if you dare!
Avenue of the Volcanoes Tour Package Itinerary
Day 1: Guayaquil - Cajas National Park - Cuenca
On the first day of your tour, you'll be picked up from your hotel in Guayaquil at around midday. From here, you'll begin your route around rural Ecuador, discovering the beauty of the different landscapes as you pass the banana and cacao plantations along the coast and make your way into the mountainous scenery of the Andes.
You'll make your first stop at the Cajas National Park, a nature reserve in the Ecuadorian highlands that is known for its more than 200 lakes and lagoons formed by glaciers. Enjoy a peaceful walk through the páramo, an area with some of the most diverse flora and fauna in the Andes mountain range.
Head up to over 13,000 feet (4000 m) above sea level, reaching Tres Cruces, or the "Three Crosses" viewpoint, which marks the continental divide between water that flows into the Pacific, and water that flows into the Atlantic. From here, you'll have magnificent views over the lagoons and their rocky surroundings.
At the end of the day, you'll be taken to the city of Cuenca, where you'll spend the night.
Day 2: Cuenca
After eating breakfast at your hotel, you'll be ready for the second day of your tour, embracing Ecuador's cultural heritage on a guided tour of Cuenca. You'll explore the historic centre of the town, and discover why it has earned the name "the Athens of Ecuador".
Your guided city tour will take you to visit the city's most iconic monuments and landmarks, including the Plaza de las Flores, one of the world's most beautiful open-air flower markets, and the Abdón Calderón Park, home to the Old and New Cathedrals.
Observe the architectural heritage of the colonial period as you admire the "hanging houses" along the banks of the Tomebamba River, and the famous Puente Roto, or Broken Bridge, that crosses over it.
Day 3: Cuenca - Alausí - Quito
Following another hearty breakfast in the hotel, you'll leave Cuenca behind and head into nature yet again, in the direction of Alausí. Arriving at the railway station of this picturesque town, you'll climb on board a train and set off on the Trans-Andean route to Simbambe, crossing the mountainous area popularly known as la Nariz del Diablo - the Devil's Nose. After around a two hour journey, you'll reach this impressive feat of engineering: an impossibly steep track that zig-zags the almost-vertical walls of the mountain - a hair-raising thrill ride!
In the afternoon, you'll continue on your route towards Quito, crossing through the mythical Avenue of the Volcanoes, so-called for being home to more than seventy volcanoes. From the road, you'll enjoy spectacular views of some of the most famous peaks, including Cotopaxi, Rumiñahui, Los Ilinizas, Corazón and Pichincha.
Your three day adventure of the highlights of Ecuador will come to an end in Quito.
- The indicated price per person is based on two people sharing a double room. Reservations for individual travellers staying in single rooms will incur a supplementary charge.
- The operation of the Devil's Nose Train is subject to modification without prior warning in the case of adverse weather conditions.
Hotel pick up
This tour package includes a pick up service from the main hotels in Guayaquil: Grand Hotel Guayaquil, Continental, City Plaza, Palace, Hampton Inn, Hilton Colón and Wyndham.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
Children under 3 years oldFree
Children under 3 years oldFree
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up.
English speaking guide.
Accommodation and breakfast in superior or standard hotel in Cuenca.
Guided tour of Cuenca.
Return ticket for the Devil's Nose Train.
Lunches and dinners.
Entrance fee for the Cajas National Park.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).