Discover the different steps that make up the Sadou ritual with this Miyajima Japanese Tea Ceremony. You'll learn about the important steps in this tradition that reflects Japanese hospitality and lifestyle.
Miyajima Japanese Tea Ceremony
At 10 am, we'll meet at the Okeiko Japan Academy in Miyajima. Here in this cultural space, located in an ancient Zen temple, we'll learn all the ins and outs of a traditional tea ceremony.
Known as sadou, this ritual involving the preparation and presentation of matcha. There are several phases from the utensil preparation, to the preparation of the tea, the bows and the final tasting. We'll explain the important symbolism of each gesture, and how every little detail counts.
After admiring how the whole process is carried out, you'll be the ones to prepare your own tea. Remember all the steps you have learned!
The activity will end at 10:30 am.
Rent a kimono
You also have the option to rent a traditional Japanese kimono. You'll have 30 minutes to choose your outfit and get ready. Then, you'll start the writing course which finishes at 11 am.
More workshops in Miyajima
You can enjoy more activities in Miyajima by booking the cultural experience. It includes up to three workshops to choose between cooking, tea ceremony and writing.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Per person||Children under 6|
|Ceremony without kimono||
|Ceremony with kimono||
Ceremony without kimono
Per personUS$ 46.30
Children under 6not permitted
Ceremony with kimono
Per personUS$ 92.70
Children under 6not permitted
30 minutes - 1 hour.
The activity takes place with an escort that speaks in english and other languages.
Kimono rental (according to option chosen).
English speaking companion.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Okeiko Japan Academy