Towering rugged cliffs, luscious greenery and breathtaking waterfalls leading to natural pools... Delve into the stunning natural scenery around Nerja on this unforgettable river walk up the Río Chillar.
Nerja Chillar River Walk Itinerary
After meeting your guide at the scheduled time in Nerja's Plaza Balcón de Europa, you'll climb aboard a bus and head away from the town in the direction of the sierra, or mountains. Reaching the natural park, you'll make a stop to fill up your water bottles before you set off on your adventure along the riverbed of the Río Chillar.
Hike through the park to an old hydroelectric plant, or "Fábrica de Luz", before continuing along your route up the Río Chillar. You'll soon reach the first waterfall where you'll have the opportunity to enjoy a dip in the water to refresh yourself.
Shadowed by the rock faces towering up to 65 feet (20 metres) over you from either side, you'll hike further through the narrow corridor of the gorge, admiring the spectacular natural scenery around you, popularly known as "Los Cahorros", which means a passageway between sheer cliffs.
Whether you're on your own, with friends or family, this is undoubtedly one of the most fun walks in the region. There are times when you'll have to wade through the water as it reaches your knees and places where the gorge is so narrow that if you stretch out your arms you'll touch both walls!
Throughout your river walk, you'll come across numerous natural pools filled with sparkling waters just inviting you to jump in, splash about and refresh yourself! While you bathe, take in the incredible landscape of the Sierras de Tejada, Almijara and Alhama Natural Park.
At the end of your unforgettable walk along the Chillar River, you'll make the return journey to Nerja, where you'll be dropped back off at Plaza Balcón de Europa.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 36.20
The tour is carried out in several languages at the same time, including in English.
English, Spanish and Portuguese speaking guide.
Return transport from Nerja.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Nerja).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - this activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Plaza Balcón de Europa.