Visit the largest penguin colony in Chile on this trip to Magdalena Island. This eco-sanctuary in the heart of beautiful Patagonia is home to more than 60,000 pairs of these amazing birds.
Magdalena Island Penguin Tour
After meeting up early in the morning, we will head to the docks at Punta Arenas. There we board the boat, and you will enjoy a tasty cup of hot coffee as we drift off into the ocean. Our destination is Magdalena Island, a small island located in the Magellan Strait, some 20 miles to the northeast of Punta Arenas.
Magdalena Island forms part of a protected area known as Los Pingüinos Natural Monument, which is home to the largest colony of Magellanic penguins in South America. Besides more than 60,000 pairs of penguins, other protected animals also inhabit the Patagonian island, such as Cormorants and Sea Lions.
You will have an hour of your own free time to explore the island at your own pace, admire the breath-taking landscapes, and observe the penguin colony. You will visit the lighthouse and the Environmental Interpretation Center, where you can witness the conservation efforts taking place in Patagonia and the Magellan Strait whilst enjoying the wonderful panoramic view across the island.
We continue our journey to Marta Island, where on the shore you will spot sea lions, cormorants, and flocks of seagulls. If you are lucky, we might even encounter the different species of dolphins that are native to this part of the world.
The trip finishes back at the port in Punta Arenas.
- On the day of the tour, you must bring your valid passport with you.
- The tour is subject to the weather conditions. If this activity is cancelled, we will offer you an alternative.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 11 years old||Children under 4 years old|
Children from 4 to 11 years oldUS$ 88
Children under 4 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
Hotel pick up and drop off (optional).
English speaking guide.
Entry to The Penguins Natural Monument.
Coffee and biscuits on board.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).