The Azores Islands are home to all kinds of whales and other marine mammals. Get up close and personal with them on this boat trip along the coast of Sao Miguel.
Whale Watching in Sao Miguel
Once we've met at Avenida João Bosco Mota Amaral, in the capital of Sao Miguel, we'll walk down to the Ponta Delgada port. Here we'll board a boat ready to set sail along the south coast of the island.
During the journey, a guide specialised in the wildlife of the Azores will explain the habits of the whales, dolphins and other marine mammals that live in this area of the Atlantic Ocean. Not only will we find out about their way of life, but we'll also get the chance to see them first-hand as they swim up close to our boat.
You'll discover how the marine mammals in Sao Miguel use the ocean currents at this latitude to undertake their journey across the Atlantic, always swimming alongside one or more of their species. After the jaw-dropping experience of seeing these animals in the flesh, the boat will head back to the port of Ponta Delgada.
Animals are unpredictable. Whether or not we will see them on our trip, and to what extent, depends on various factors such as the marine currents, the direction of the wind or the weather conditions at the time.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 12 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 75% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 7 and 12 years||Children under 7|
Children between 7 and 12 yearsUS$ 36.40
Children under 7Free
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and other language.
English speaking specialised guide.
Boat trip along the south coast of Sao Miguel.
Optional jet ski rental (70 euros).
When to book?
You can book up to the start time, as long as there are places remaining. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Does the activity still take place in bad weather?
A - Should weather be bad, the activity may be cancelled. Should this be the case, we'll offer you alternatives or a refund.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Avenida João Bosco Mota Amaral s/n.