Travel to the province of Castellón and explore the beautiful medieval town of Morella and the town of Peñíscola, where you'll learn about the interesting history of Pope Luna. There's so much to be discovered!
Day Trip to Morella & Peñíscola
At around 7 am we will pick you up from your hotel in the centre of Valencia and we'll head north towards Morella. We'll travel almost parallel to the beautiful coastline for just over two hours, and we'll then reach the walled, hill-top town. This is a true medieval treasure!
We'll wander along the steep, characteristic cobblestone streets, and we'll stop at the different local craft stalls. We'll end at the historic castle, which stands tall at the top of the town. Did you know that El Cid Campeador once stayed here?
We'll enter this Islamic fortress built in the 13th century, and you'll discover how it gained importance for the Crown of Aragon. After the tour of the castle, you'll have some free time to keep exploring Morella and even try some of the delicious local cuisine.
After lunch, we'll head east to Peñíscola. On the journey, we'll reveal the origins of this historical city, famed for a very controversial historical figure, Pope Luna.
Once we reach our destination, we'll first visit the castle, located on a hilltop at the shore. Pope Luna, also known as Antipope Benedict XIII, is one of the most polemic religious figures in the history of Spain, and he used this fortress as his palace and personal library. We'll tell you more on the day of the tour!
We'll then continue our tour, visiting the old town of Peñíscola, which is home to Islamic, Roman and Templar architecture. Not only that, but we'll follow the outline of the old wall that protected the city. You'll feel like you've travelled back in time.
After a complete day exploring, we'll return to Valencia and drop you back at your hotel.
- This tour includes hotel pick up from the main hotels in the centre of Valencia.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 7 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 7 and 10 years old|
|Day trip in English||
Day trip in English
Children between 7 and 10 years oldUS$ 82.20
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Transport in an air conditioned vehicle.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Te enviaremos un bono que podrás mostrar en tu móvil para realizar la actividad.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).