Delve deep into 15th century Spain and follow in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus, exploring the riverside town of El Puerto de Santa Maria.
El Puerto de Santa Maria Walking Tour Itinerary
At 11 am on the morning of your tour, meet your guide at the historic Plaza de Toros, or bullring, in El Puerto de Santa Maria.
We'll stroll along the banks of the river Guadalate next, taking in the views as we learn all about the significance of this town in Columbus' expeditions to the Americas, and later as a merchant port for international trade. You'll see El Puerto de Santa María's most iconic historic sights, like the old port, the traders' marketplace and the customs buildings.
Next, the tour takes in the Mayor Prioral Church, found in Plaza de España. This church was built in the high part of the city, and its construction coincides with the golden age of the Medinaceli dukes, just as with the majority of the major buildings in the area.
Finally, we'll head to the Archive of the Indias; a fascinating building where historic documents are kept. Did you know it was once sacked by Anglo-Dutch troops?
Finish off your guided walking tour of El Puerto back in the original departure point at around 1 pm.
In the event that any of the monuments on this tour are closed, you will visit an alternative similar monument instead.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 9 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 12 years old|
Children under 12 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to the Archive of the Indias.
Entrance to the Prioral Church.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (El Puerto de Santa María local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - this activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
Plaza de Toros.