Discover two of Portugal's most picturesque cities with this trip to Aveiro and Coimbra from Guimaraes. We'll go on a boat trip along the canals of Aveiro and visit the University of Coimbra.
Aveiro & Coimbra Trip
We'll pick you up from your hotel in Guimaraes and set off on our trip to Aveiro and Coimbra.
We'll start in Coimbra, which was the first capital city of Portugal and the main university city in the country. Our first stop will be, of course, the University of Coimbra. Accompanied by our guide, we'll visit the main parts of this incredible institution that boasts of over seven centuries of history. We'll also learn more about praxe, the university tradition born in Coimbra that means freshers should wear black suits and capes.
Afterwards, we'll explore the historic centre of Coimbra, whose Islamic origins can be seen in its winding, narrow streets. After passing by the Old Cathedral of Coimbra, we'll reach the heart of the city, where we'll be surrounded by shopping streets and picturesque restaurants. We'll stop here to enjoy the best dishes of Portuguese gastronomy.
After lunch we'll visit Aveiro, popularly known as Portuguese Venice because of its narrow canals and its typical boats that are similar to gondolas: the moliceiros. These boats get their name from the fact they were traditionally used to collect and transport the moliço, a kind of seaweed that was later used as fertilizer. They are long and shallow boats, which allow them to move quickly through the canals.
We'll go on an hour's boat ride along the canals of Aveiro and discover the most important points of the city from a different perspective: the fishermen's quarter, the Art Nouveau buildings on the banks of the canals...
At the end of the trip, we'll hop on board the minibus to return to Guimaraes.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 8 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 12 years old||Children under 4 years old|
Children between 4 and 12 years oldUS$ 56
Children under 4 years oldFree
9 hours 30 minutes.
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Professional English speaking guide.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport in air conditioned minibus.
Guided tour of University of Coimbra.
Food and drink.
Boat ride on the Aveiro canals.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (8:30 am local time) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).