Explore the most iconic landmarks of the city where Portugal was founded with this guided tour of Guimaraes. You'll walk through the medieval old town and visit the Castle of Guimaraes.
Guimaraes Walking Tour
We'll pick you up from your hotel in Guimaraes in the morning and hop on a minibus to head to the Castle of Guimaraes, one of the most important Portuguese historical monuments and the place where Alfonso Henriques was born in 1109, later to become the first king of Portugal. We'll head inside to explore and admire the city from its battlements and towers.
Our panoramic tour will then continue to the Palace of the Dukes of Braganza, a magnificent building built in the 15th century by the Bragança dynasty. It was abandoned and left to ruin until 1937 when the Portuguese dictator Antonio Salazar ordered its restoration. Today, it houses the city's museum as well as the residence of the President of the Republic when he travels to the north of the country. We'll also visit the nearby Church of São Miguel do Castelo, where King Alfonso I of Portugal was baptized.
Afterwards, we'll go on a guided walking tour of the historic centre of Guimaraes, and find out why it is referred to as "the cradle city" and the "birthplace of the Portuguese nationality". This historic centre is considered to be one of the best-preserved medieval parts of Portugal. We'll explore its winding narrow streets, small squares and marvel at the beautiful old houses.
Lastly, we'll have time to relax and enjoy a tasting of different typical products from Guimaraes, such as cod or its famous sweet cakes.
At the end of the trip we'll make our way back to Guimaraes and drop you off at your hotel.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 8 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 12 years old||Children under 4 years old|
Children between 4 and 12 years oldUS$ 23.50
Children under 4 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Guided tour of Guimaraes.
Entry to the Castle of Guimaraes.
Guided walking tour of historic centre.
Tasting of different typical products from Guimaraes.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (9:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).