Discover the legacy of British rule in Menorca on this free walking tour of Mahon: learn all about the island capital's history as you explore its most emblematic monuments.
Free Walking Tour of Mahon
At the time of your choice, we'll meet at the taxi stand located at the intersection of Plaça de s'Esplanada and Avinguda de Josep Anselm Clavé. From this central point of Mahon we'll start a free tour to see the remains of the British Crown in the capital of Menorca.
First, we'll admire the façades of the Count of Cifuentes and Cala Corb barracks, built at the end of the 18th century under British rule. We'll continue exploring La Quintana making our way along Carrer de Hannover, where we'll hear all about the history of this German dynasty that reigned Great Britain.
We'll then reach one of Mahón's historic marketplaces, the Mercat des Claustre or Mercat Sa Plaça, located in a neoclassical courtyard. Next, we'll stop in front of the Principal de Guàrdia building, built in 1786 to house English security forces.
Afterwards, we'll arrive outside the City Hall, where we'll talk about military engineer Francisco Fernández de Angulo. During our free walking tour, we'll also stop at the Governor's Palace and the Museum of Menorca. Here we'll learn all about the exploits of Richard Kane, the British Governor of Menorca during the 18th century.
Our historic tour of Mahon will come to an end in Plaça de la Miranda, where we'll enjoy unparalleled views of the port.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in spanish.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not advisable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Intersection between Plaça de s'Esplanada and Avenida de Josep Anselm Clavé