If you want a unique experience during your stay in San Juan, then take our fabulous hiking trip to the peaks of mounts Negro, María Auxiliadora and América, or the mighty Cerro la Sal.
When you reserve the trekking activity, you must choose one of the two following options:
Mount Negro, América and María Auxiliadora hike
We will collect you from your hotel early in the morning and then head west in the 4x4 vehicle.
After a journey of around 50 minutes, we reach the Punta Negro dam where our 5-hour trek begins. First, we climb up to the summit of the Cerro Negro mountain, the highest point on our route at a staggering 8,500 feet above sea level. At the top, you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the lakes and valleys across the area.
After descending, we then follow a path which takes us to mount América where 4,700 feet high up, you will enjoy an impressive panorama of the surrounding peaks. Our route continues to the top of the smaller mount María Auxiliadora.
Our brilliant trek finishes back at the original starting point, where we get back in the 4x4 and head back to your hotel in San Juan.
Cerro la Sal mountain hike
If you choose this option, we will also collect you from your hotel and head to Punta Negra dam where we begin our fantastic 5-hour trek around some of the region's most beautiful landscapes.
The Cerro la Sal mountain is a volcanic rock peak which dates back 18 million years. During our hike, you will encounter a fascinating ancient kaolin site where you will learn about the properties of this clay mineral. Amazingly, the land here exudes saltwater which is what gives the rocks their distinctive white color.
We will return to the original starting point and then head back to San Juan in the vehicle.
Children under the age of 18 years old
Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
In the case of bad weather
This activity is subject to bad weather conditions. In the case of cancelation, a refund cannot be offered.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 4 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Mount Negro, America and Maria Auxiliadora hike||
|Cerro la Sal mountain hike||
Mount Negro, America and Maria Auxiliadora hike
Per personUS$ 40
Cerro la Sal mountain hike
Per personUS$ 75
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Return transport from your hotel.
English speaking guide.
Food and drink.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 3 days before (San Juan local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).