Discover the life of the Jews in Coimbra with this brilliant Coimbra Jewish Quarter Free Tour. You will travel back in time as you explore some of the city's hidden treasures.
Coimbra Jewish Quarter Free Tour
We will meet up in front of the church of Santa Cruz at 3:30 pm to begin a journey back to the 15th century. You will learn all about Portugal's fascinating Jewish history and the importance of that community in Coimbra.
We start at the elegant Santa Cruz church and the iconic May 8th square, the meeting point of the Jews, and the place where they celebrated their most popular markets and festivals. We will continue by walking through the streets of Coibra's Jewish, heading towards the Praça do Comércio.
For centuries it was one of the principal locations in the city for the Auto-da-fé. We will hear all about these terrifying public rituals of penance for heretics as we stroll through the Largo da Portagem area, one of the best-known districts of the Portuguese city.
The tour will also take us on a walk along charming Rua Visconde da Luz and Rua Corpo Deus until we reach the Patio da Inquisição (Holy Inquisition Courtyard), the last point on this amazing guided tour. You will be fascinated by the history of this corner of the city. Finally, our adventure concludes at 5 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
1 hour 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide
When to book?
You can book up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Iglesia de Santa Cruz.