Modernism and tradition combine in the old city of Montevideo. Discover its architectural legacy with this free tour around the Uruguyuan capital. Best of all - it's free!
Free tour of Montevideo
We will start our free tour of Montevideo in Independence Square in the heart of this beautiful city, where you will see a beautiful set of majestic buildings and historic monuments. Our guide will reveal the background of each of these important landmarks.
The first stop on the free tour of Uraguay's capital will take place in front of the Mausoleum of José Gervasio, whose life story is full of interesting twists and turns... then the tour continues through Constitution Square, where we'll drink in the imposing façade of the Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral.
Next we head to Café Brasileiro and Plaza Zabala, where we'll immerse you in the long history, anecdotes and curious facts to do with the old town: a history as entertaining as it is surprising!
The free tour then ends in the popular and lively Port Market.
- The maximum group size when making a reservation is 6 people.
- Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult. A maximum of three children per adult is allowed.
- We will not enter any of the monuments visited on the route. We will only be visiting the exterior of these landmarks.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide with specialist knowledge of the history of Montevideo.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Montevideo).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Plaza de la Independencia (Independence Square).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.