Walk part of the legendary Camino de Santiago on this unforgettable piligrimage day. You'll hike the Liebana Way from picturesque Potes to the Monastery of Santo Toribio.
Pilgrimage Day: Santo Toribio de Liebana Way
Our pilgrimage day will begin leaving Santander in the direction of the picturesque town of Potes. During the two hour drive, we'll admire the beautiful Cantabrian landscapes including the sheer, almost-vertical walls of the spectacular La Hermida Gorge.
Arriving in Potes, you'll be given directions for your pilgrimage walk to the Santo Toribio de Liébana Monastery, which dates back to the 6th century and is said to house a relic of the True Cross. You'll then have free time to explore the historic streets of Potes and start your hike up to the monastery.
The pilgrimage route from Potes covers a route of just under 2 miles (3 kilometres) with a steep slope in some sections. It takes around 45 minutes to reach the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana, and at midday we'll attend the pilgrim's mass held there. You'll also be blessed with the relic of the True Cross, which you'll even have the opportunity to touch!
After the mass, we'll visit the chapel and viewpoint of St Michael, which offer unparalleled views of the Picos de Europa mountains. We'll then return to Potes by minibus and renew our energy indulging in a traditional Lebaniego stew in a local restaurant.
In the afternoon, you'll have around two hours of free time visit Potes at your own pace. Stroll through its Medieval streets, visit monuments like the Casa del Oso Pardo, a centre where you can learn about the brown bear, and the Torre del Infantado, a 14th century fortified tower, or discover the typical products in the town's shops.
Having made the most of our time in this charming village, we'll head to San Sebastian de Garabandal. In this small village, located in the Peña Sagra mountain range, a number of apparitions of the Virgin Mary are said to have taken place in the 1960s. We'll take the opportunity to visit the village and to go up to Los Pinos where the visions happened.
At the end of the day, we'll make the journey back to Santander, arriving back around 7:30 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 3 and 11 years old||Children under 3 years old|
Children between 3 and 11 years oldUS$ 66.30
Children under 3 years oldFree
10 hours 30 minutes.
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
English speaking guide.
Transport by minivan.
Food (Lebaniego stew) and drinks.
Entry to monuments.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Santander).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Calle Castelar, 49.