Did you know that Nakupenda means "I love you"? Find out how this romantic beach got its name and see giant tortoises on Prison Island.
Changuu Island and Nakupenda Beach Trip
We'll pick you up from your hotel in Stone Town between 8:30 am and 9:00 am and head towards the city harbour, where a boat will be waiting for us. We'll hop on board and set sail for Prison Island.
We'll sail the Indian Ocean for about 20 minutes until we reach Changuu Island, also known as Prison Island, as it was once used as a prison for slaves and a quarantine centre for people with yellow fever.
We'll visit one of its biggest attractions: the giant tortoises, which were imported from Seychelles at the end of the 19th century. Next, we'll go snorkelling to discover the area's marine life. Did you know the island was a coral mine?
Then we'll get back on the boat and sail you off you to Nakupenda beach. Here we'll have some time to relax in the Tanzanian sun or go for a swim in the turquoise waters. What's more, we'll enjoy a delicious lunch of fish and tropical fruits.
At the end of the tour we'll make our way back to Stone Town and drop you off at your hotels at around 4:30 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 6 and 10||Children under 6|
|English language tour||
English language tour
Children between 6 and 10US$ 70
Children under 6Free
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Transport in air conditioned bus.
Food and drink.
Basic snorkelling equipment.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).