Learn all about the pre-Colombian civilizations of the Atacama desert on our fascinating archaeological tour. You will visit the ancient stone fortress of Pukará de Quitor and also taste some delicious traditional food.
Archaeological Tour of Atacama
After gathering at the meeting point, we will head to the pre-Colombian Pukará de Quitor. This ancient stone fortress was the center of the political and social power of the Atacameño civilization in the 12th century. The site, constructed on top of a hill, consists of a series of manmade terraces on which houses and grain storehouses were built.
We will explore the archaeological site and hear all about the fascinating history of the civilizations that inhabited it. The guide will tell you all about how this settlement managed to prosper in such an arid environment and resisted attacks from the Aymara and Inca civilizations.
Then, we will visit a traditional Atacama farm where you will be shown how the local inhabitants combine ancient cultivation techniques with modern-day tools. They will also offer us a tasting of their delicious, locally grown produce.
Our next stop on the tour is the archaeological site of Tulor. Here, you will discover the cultural remains of the artisan population which inhabited this settlement before the arrival of the conquistadors. The wind and the desert sand have partially buried some of the buildings, but you can still see the main structures. Our professional guide will tell you all about the fascinating history of this village which dates back to 380 BC.
Our tour then returns to San Pedro de Atacama, taking a leap in time to the colonial era when we visit San Pedro church. This beautiful religious shrine was constructed in 1745 using adobe, cactus, and carob wood.
The tour finishes back at the original departure point at around 12:30 pm.
Please bear in mind that this tour does not include the entry fee to the archaeological sites which costs 8800 Chilean pesos ($12/€11 approx.).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 25 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 2 and 12 years old||Children under 2 years old|
Children between 2 and 12 years oldUS$ 22.70
Children under 2 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
English speaking guide.
Tasting of traditional products.
Entry to the archaeological sites (8,800 Chilean pesos, $12, €11 approx.).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (San Pedro de Atacama local time) if there are still places available.
Te enviaremos un bono que podrás mostrar en tu móvil para realizar la actividad.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
451, Calle Ignacio Carrera Pinto.