Explore the historic streets and landmarks of Santiago which played a role in the dictatorship of Pinochet. Our tour will transport you back to Chile in 1973!
Early in the morning, we will collect you from your hotel in Santiago. From there, we will head to our first stop - Cementerio General (the city's cemetery).
This location is a kind of open-air museum, constructed almost two centuries ago, where we will discover Chile's recent history through the numerous graves of the notable people buried here. In the cemetery will visit various sites of historical importance, such as Patio 29 - where thousands of bodies were secretly buried during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet - the Memorial to the Disappeared, and the tomb of Salvador Allende, who was president of Chile until his death during the coup d'état in 1973.
Later we will visit the Museum of Memory and Human Rights, a space which shows the horrors committed during the military dictatorship between 1973 and 1990. Our guide will help us to understand the historical context of the era and reflect on the events that occurred under the leadership of Pinochet.
Last, we head to Villa Grimaldi, a three-acre estate which was used as a community arts center until 1973 when General Pinochet turned it into a political detention and interrogation center known as Cuartel Terranova. This was the operations center of the secret police, known as DINA, and also the headquarters of Metropolitan Intelligence Brigade, who were in charge of the brutal repression of the Chilean population during the military regime.
We end our historical tour through the Santiago of Pinochet's dictatorship back at your hotel.
Pick up points
This activity includes pick up and drop off from hotels in the following areas: the city center (zona central), Providencia, Estacion Central, Las Condes, and Nunoa. If your hotel is situated in a different area then we will arrange for you to be collected from the most convenient of the aforementioned districts.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 16 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 20% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 20% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 49.80
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Entry to the monuments on the tour itinerary.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (9:30 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.