Punta Carretas, in the south of Montevideo, is home to some wonderful surprises such as an old prison which now serves as a bustling market. You will discover this and so much more when you take our fantastic free walking tour.
Punta Carretas Free Walking Tour
Our free tour of the most southern neighborhood of Montevideo will start at the main entrance of the Punta Carretas Shopping Center. The shops are spread out across different levels of gangways in a historic building which used to be an infamous prison. Here, you will discover the role that the jail played during the last dictatorship in Uruguay. We will also reveal how this was the setting for the most audacious prison break the country has ever seen.
We continue our tour at one of the most famous eateries in this part of the capital of Uruguay, El Berretín. You will hear all about the fascinating history of this place and what was here before a restaurant. Closeby, we will find the majestic Villa Biarritz Park. Strolling through these beautiful gardens you will feel the refreshing breeze blowing in from the River Plate.
Another deeply rooted tradition in the culture of Uruguay is the Mate drink. We will reveal all the interesting details about this popular drink as we approach Pittamiglio Castle. There, you will find out just why the bow of a boat seems to be breaking out of a building.
Our free tour concludes with a stroll along the Rambla Gandhi Avenue. You will be able to spot the historic Punta Brava Lighthouse as you make your way along this long tree-lined boulevard.
- Our tour does not accept reservations of more than 6 people.
- Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult. The maximum number of children allowed is three per adult.
- Our tour itinerary does not involve paying to enter any monuments. However, we will visit the exterior grounds.
- In the case of rain, the tour will be suspended.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of Montevideo
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Montevideo).
Te enviaremos un bono que podrás mostrar en tu móvil para realizar la actividad.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Punta Carretas Shopping Center