Get lost in Lisbon's oldest neighbourhood with this Alfama tour. The only neighbourhood to survive the great earthquake in 1755 retains the essence of the capital, and is the birthplace of fado music.
From the central Commerce Square, we begin our tour of Lisbon's oldest and most authentic neighbourhood: Alfama. The steep streets, flaking facades, and old stairs preserve an intact image of the old capital. During our guided tour we will divulge all the details of the devastating earthquake of 1755, while we walk through the streets of the only district to survive that disaster.
Wandering through the area we arrive at the San Jorge castle - a fortress initially built by the Moors and completed by the Christians following the reconquest it is a symbol of the integration of the two cultures in the city. The tour passes alongside the Lisbon Cathedral, the Church of Santo António and the statue of San Vicente, patron saint of Lisboa. As we pass through Alfama the tour uncovers the origins of fado and the importance of this neighbourhood to the traditional music of Portugal: diving into the hidden corners which have inspired the most melancholic of fados.
The last stop will be the Santa Lucia viewpoint, from where we will enjoy panoramic views of the entire neighbourhood as well as the Tajo. This beautiful balcony with its romantic atmosphere offers unique views of the San Esteban Monastery, the white towers of San Miguel and the Santa Engracia Dome. From this privileged position, you can listen to the legend of Lisbon's seven hills, before the tour ends.
- Students should bring their identification which confirms them as such.
- This tour does not take in the interiors of the attractions, rather it will visit the outside.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Students||Children under 13|
Children under 13Free
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking expert guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 36 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you need help to book an activity or have any enquiries, please contact us.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).