Tucumán's sugar industry was one of the region's main economic drivers. Discover all about this important part of local history when you visit the old factories on our fantastic Sugar Tour.
Sugar Tour of Tucuman
Once we have collected you from your hotel in San Miguel de Tucumán, we will head to the outskirts of the city. Our first stop is at the old San Pablo sugar mill. During the tour, you will learn all about the processes involved in grinding down Sugar Cane and preparing the commercial product.
Our trip continues with a visit to the Jesuit ruins of Lules, where you will hear all about the history of the Society of Jesus, whose clergymen began to cultivate sugar cane from the seventeenth century. This small business grew, little by little, until it became a powerful sugar industry in the province of Tucumán.
From Lules, we then go to another old sugar factory: the La Florida sugar refinery. Our guide will tell you all about how a whole community developed around this mill due to its importance to the region. We will make our last stop at 9 July Park in San Miguel de Tucumán, where we visit the Obispo Colombres Museum of the Sugar Industry. This exhibition space is named after the person who, in the early nineteenth century, rejuvenated the sugar industry by introducing new techniques and innovations which you will find out about during the visit.
After visiting the different rooms of the museum's permanent exhibition, we will take you back to your hotel in San Miguel de Tucumán where the tour finishes.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 6 years old||Children under 4 years old|
|Tour in English||
Tour in English
Children between 4 and 6 years oldUS$ 22.40
Children under 4 years oldFree
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by air conditioned vehicle.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of San Miguel of Tucuman and the region.
When to book?
You can book up until 18 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.