Veliko Tarnovo is one of the most important medieval cities in Bulgaria. Discover its beautiful architecture for yourself when you take our trip from Sofia on which will also visit the historical village of Arbanasi.
Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanasi Trip
We will collect you from your hotel in Sofia early in the morning before heading towards the region of Veliko Tarnovo. After a journey of almost three hours, we will arrive at the tiny medieval village of Arbanasi which is famous for its large number of historical churches and religious monuments.
We will step into the Church of the Nativity of Christ to admire its beautiful interior frescos. The building is a good example of the typical architectural style of religious shrines from the late middle ages in Bulgaria.
After spending around one hour and a half in Arbanasi, we will hit the road once more and drive to the city of Veliko Tarnovo, regarded as the medieval capital of Bulgaria. Immediately upon arriving, we will take a break in a traditional restaurant where you can feast on some delicious local food (not included).
With your appetite whetted, we will then begin our two-hour tour of the municipality during which we will visit all the essential landmarks and important locations. Known as Bulgaria's 'City of Medieval Tsars', Veliko Tarnovo features a huge 12th-century fortress built on Tsarevets hill, on top of which sits the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Holy Ascension of God.
We will visit Baldwin's Tower, one of the fort's defensive turrets, and the Execution Rock, besides historic houses and government buildings.
We will return to Sofia at around 6 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 35% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 100% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 2 to 10 years old||Children under 2 years old|
|Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanasi Trip||
Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanasi Trip
Children from 2 to 10 years oldUS$ 35.20
Children under 2 years oldFree
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Sofia).
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).