Make the most of your time in Lucerne and visit the Queen of the Mountains on this day trip to Mount Rigi. Travel on Europe's oldest cogwheel train to reach one of the most impressive viewpoints in the region.
Mount Rigi Day Trip
We'll meet at 12:45 pm in front of Lucerne train station and from there we'll go to the pier, where the boat to Vitznau will be waiting for us. After a 50 minute cruise, we'll reach our picturesque destination.
Arriving in Vitznau, we'll have around 45 minutes of free time to explore the city and enjoy wonderful views of the Swiss Aps, before heading to the train station to board the cogwheel railway. Did you know this is the oldest train of its kind in Europe? It's been running since 1871!
A 40 minute train journey will bring us near to the peak of Mount Rigi, which is almost 5,900 feet (1,797 metres) tall! At the top, you'll have an hour and a half to climb to the top at your leisure and take in the unparalleled views of the Alps and the Lucerne and Zug Lakes. What's more, you can enjoy a drink in the mountaintop shelter.
Having met back up, we'll make the descent down Mount Rigi on the cogwheel train. At the bottom, we'll take the boat back to Lucerne, where we'll arrive back at around 6 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Seniors over 65 years oldUS$ 47.60
Children between 4 and 11 years oldFree
Children under 4 years oldFree
5 hours 30 minutes - 6 hours.
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Transport by boat and cogwheel train.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (11:45 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Lucerne Train Station (Bahnhofplatz).