Discover the lively traditional market of Chichicastenango and enjoy a boat trip surrounded by volcanoes on one of the world's most beautiful lakes on this two-day tour to Lake Atitlán from Guatemala City.
Chichicastenango & Lake Atitlan 2 Day Tour
Day 1: Chichicastenango & Panajachel
Having picked you up from your hotel in Guatemala City bright and early at 6:30 am, we'll leave the capital behind and set off on the two and a half hour journey to Chichicastenango.
Arriving at this picturesque town, located in the Guatemalan Highlands, we'll enjoy a walking tour of the Chichicastenango Market. Did you know that this lively bazaar is one of the best preserved traditions of Mayan culture in the region?
You'll have free time to do some shopping at the market and make the most of the different stalls selling all manner of goods. From vividly coloured handmade traditional clothing, to handcrafted pottery, bright flowers and a wide variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and seafood, you're sure to find something that catches your eye!
Afterwards, we'll pay a visit to the Santo Tomás Church, where for centuries the local Mayan beliefs and practices have been influenced by Catholic religion, before stopping so you can buy lunch. Your guide will give you tips as to where best to indulge in local Guatemalan cuisine!
With renewed energy, we'll head to Panajachel, a town located on the shoes of Lake Atitlán. You'll have free time here to explore at your own pace and to relax for the next day.
Day 2: Lake Atitlán
After a good night's rest, we'll pick you up from your hotel in Panajachel and head down to the lakeside. You'll be enchanted by the incredible views the lake offers of the volcanoes that surround its sparkling waters. Tolimán, Atitlán and San Pedro Volcanoes... how tall do you think they are?
We'll enjoy a boat trip on Lake Atitlán which will take us to Santiago Atitlán, a town located on the opposite bank to Panajachel. Visiting the historic Santiago Apóstol Church, we'll discover yet again a place of worship where Mayan culture and Catholicism have joined together.
We'll then take the time to stroll through the streets around the church before catching the boat back to Panajachel. Our tour will come to an end with drop off at hotels in Guatemala City at around 6 pm.
Accommodation not included
This two day tour does not include accommodation. You must reserve accommodation in Panajachel, where we'll be spending the night on the first day. When booking this tour, you should indicate the details of the hotel where you'll be staying.
Hotel pick up
The activity includes pick up from hotels in Guatemala City. Check out the list of hotels below. If you aren't staying in any of these hotels, choose the one closest to you for pick up.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 150
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Transport by car or minibus.
Transport by boat on Lake Atitlan.
Accommodation in Panajachel on Lake Atitlan.
Food and drink.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.