Discover the charms of the smallest town in Bulgaria and the impressive architecture of the Rozhen Monastery on this day trip to Melnik from Sofia. Plus enjoy a wine tasting!
Melnik & Rozhen Monastery Day Trip
At 8 am on the day of your tour, you'll be picked up from your hotel in Sofia and set off on the two and a half hour journey to Melnik. Officially known as the smallest town in Bulgaria, Melnik is nestled in the foothills of the so-called Earth Pyramids, a collection of sandstone rock formations also known as hoodoos.
It may be tiny, but Melnik has a lot to offer: it is full of important architecture. Exploring its picturesque streets, you'll be enchanted by the historic buildings surrounding you. You'll visit the ruins of the ancient fortress of the despot Alexius Slav, where your guide will reveal all about his legendary life.
In addition to its 96 cultural monuments, Melnik is also famous for the cultivation of a very special type of grape. Making the most of your time in the town, you'll get to visit one of its wineries and enjoy a tasting of local wines.
The next stop on your tour will be the Rozhen Monastery, the largest monastery in the Pirin Mountains. Surrounded by spectacular natural landscapes, you'll have the opportunity to explore the religious complex, which is one of the best preserved Medieval monasteries in Bulgaria.
After visiting the monastery, you'll climb back aboard the bus for the return journey to Sofia, where you'll be dropped off at your hotel at around 7 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 35% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 100% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 2 and 10 years old||Children under 2 years old|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Children between 2 and 10 years oldUS$ 39.30
Children under 2 years oldFree
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by private bus.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Sofia).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).